Tuesday 10 February 2015

It's all in the preparation

Today's lunch was a colourful Kilner jar salad that I prepped last night. There's been a bit of a craze with Kilner/Mason/shaker salads in the last couple of years. The contents can be prepared the night before and safely sealed/transported and eaten from the jar. The dressing can either be kept separately until the time of serving or put in the bottom of the jar before the veggies. My salad consisted of: 1/2 red bell pepper, 1 carrot, 2 inch cucumber, 5 radishes, 5 small lettuce leaves, a large handful of spinach M&S topped with a tablespoon of sunflower seeds. The veggies (except spinach) were chopped/sliced into bite sized pieces. The dressing was a mix of balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard and tamari which I kept in a mini jam jar til lunch. Shake it up baby! Yum!!!!! 5 a day? Done! Dinner was a bowl of g-free penne mixed with a pesto I made on Sunday night while my bread was baking. 3 sundried tomatoes in olive oil, 8 walnut halves, a fat clove of garlic, a bunch of parsley, 2 tsp capers, some oil from the tomato jar. This was all whizzed up in a blender until the contents were suitably small and combined. This is a combo I'd like to try again, I'm not 100% sure what the capers brought to the party so I'll calm down the tomato next time and big up the capers.

No comments:

Post a Comment