Wednesday 7 March 2012

Breakfast grains and Caribbean beans

This week has been one of experimentation. I've been inspired by various blogs and websites and mind-worms to get on and experiment with certain things. Some of which I'll write about in greater detail when I've gathered more information (tofu, tempeh and other protein products are the general theme!)

I've had a pack of red quinoa in the cupboard for a while now and wasn't too sure what to do with it. After the barley revolution last month I decided that quinoa for breakfast isn't too scary a thought. I boiled up the grain (2 cups water to 1 cup quinoa) with some ground nutmeg and ginger, kept the boil rolling for a few minutes until most of the water was absorbed and then removed from the heat until the rest of the water had been soaked up. This has made 4 breakfasts with the quinoa kept in the fridge and then half a cup reheated each morning and then served with nuts and fruit (in this case a mix of pistachios or walnuts, berries or banana).

Carribean beans came about because I found a jar of cook-in sauce in the cupboard that was nearing its use by date. I rarely buy sauces but this one appealed to me at the time and has been sat around for months waiting for its time to come. That happened this week. I was looking for a quick-n-easy dinner solution that would cook itself while I was exercising. I emptied 3 cans of pre-cooked beans (black-eyes beans, chickpeans and kidney beans) into a casserole dish and added some diced squash then covered it all with the Carribean 'Reggae Reggae' sauce, added an extra jar full of water and popped it in the oven for 40mins at 200 deg C. I only ate a third, which was a LOT of beans, and the rest has been frozen for future use. The sauce was really spicy and if I'd had more of an appetite it would've gone beautifully with some white rice. Photo to follow...

No comments:

Post a Comment